Thursday 27 December 2012

Conwy RSPB - festive treats!

The Bittern showed well to one lucky observer along the boardwalk this morning before melting into the reedbed. Could well be feeding on dead or injured starlings that roost here each night. Unfortunately no sign for birders soon on site. A single zitting Firecrest was near the Bridge Pool while Lesser Redpoll, Siskin and Bullfinches were also in the area. Trotting ponies flushed 2 Jack Snipe, 10+ Common Snipe and a Woodcock from the flooded marshy area at the far end of the reserve. Gadwall, Shoveler, Tufties, Pochard, Teal, Wigeon, Goldeneye and Red Breasted Merganser were all present too. This fine cock Pheasant followed me around for at least half an hour- I'm sure I'm going mad as I found myself chatting away to it!

2 comments: