Saturday 1 December 2012

Buzzard Binge!

I saw this Buzzard munching its way through a dead Porpoise yesterday in Red Wharf Bay. I know they are arch scavengers but I've never seen this before! It was keeping four Great Black-Backs at bay. Also there are at least 2500 feeding gulls on Red Wharf at the moment, feeding on what seems to be a 'wreck' of shrimps. Nothing obviously unusual amongst them, but worth checking again tomorrow. Has this been seen anywhere else on the coast? Also a Water Pipit yesterday and 4 Whooper Swans dropped in today.


I also saw a Common Gull 'perched' on electric cables today. Very odd behaviour.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff David- shame it wasn't an ivory gull! Presumably the same four Whooper Seans flew over the Little Orme around 2pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Regarding Common Gulls - I live in East Cheshire and although we have a village pool that attracts Gulls, Goosander etc I sometimes get Common Gulls sat on the neighbours roof waiting for me to throw out bread... seriously.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if killing off all the Pheasants and munching cute n cuddly bunnies was not enough to satisfy their blood lust these evil Buzzards have now turned their attention to the lovely cetacean tribe... I can almost hear the sad whale songs and desperate dolphiny clicks echoing off the Anglesy coast...

      I say it is time for a cull!!!

      Seriously, that is interesting behaviour - surely worth a note to BB?

      Delete