Monday 1 October 2012

Holyheads Inland Sea

Hi everyone this is my first post on here , thanks to Steve and Rob for inviting me to contribute and I hope whatever I share some of you may find interesting.
I started birding as a child in penrhos and south stack helping both Ken Williams and the various summer wardens that visited South stack back then.
As I began my working life post school birding unfortunately was put on the back burner for a good few years, but when I became a Dad then I could share my interests with my kids and well the bug bit again.
I started back proper birding about two years back and believe me its been quite hard especially on Gull, Pippit and wader I.D , but hey I'm having fun again doing what I loved to do as a lad and along the way I'm meeting alot of decent people who have helped me in alot of ways ie new sites , new contacts , id help etc.
CHEERS TO YOU ALL!!

Anyway Holyhead's Inland Sea, to be honest apart from the local birders i think this site is overlooked by the majority and to be honest all the better for us lol. I was told that there was a juv Osprey there Thursday of last week so off i went to see if i could get a glimpse and well i wasnt disappointed!

The bird was aparently fishing just in front of the anchorage in four mile bridge so it was this end that i concentrated on. Sure enough from the road as you approch four mile from trearddur bay I spotted the Osprey perched on a fence post which was surronded by water,FANASTIC!

Over the last few days I and some of my friends have been watching the bird which seemed to appear as if from nowhere one minute on the cae glas side then on the valley side of the inland sea , very strange ...... Only until I spotted that there was infact TWO Ospreys present ACE!
Ive visited everyday i can since and havent been let down ive seen at least one of them and then i received a text from my good friend Norman to say that there was a Spoonbill also on the inland sea near the cae glas side , so on friday i was straight down there from work and i wasnt disappointed there it was my FIRST SPOONBILL ,I was made up ,in fact i still am !

So if any of you are out and about birding this end and have never visited the Inland Sea it maybe time to visit, you never know what you may come across?

Goodluck all and thanks again for allowing me to add to this fantastic Blog page ,

Cheers  Grahame.






2 comments:

  1. Good post and nice pics Grahame, welcome on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grahame,
    Have seen amazing views of the perching Osprey too. Missed the Spoonbill though :( Very jealous!
    Kathy x

    ReplyDelete