Saturday 28 January 2012

Find your own Surf Scoter!

Ever keen as I am to increase the length of the only list that counts - the 'self-found' one - I've been undertaking a bit of google research to see what new horizons might open up with a bit of appropriate technology and sheer animal cunning. If we can tick the hordes of migrants at lighthouse attractions and new garden birds by spreading our peanuts around why not try something different?

So, next time you Conwy listers get your asses out of the comfy Conwy RSPB coffe shop and come winter seawatching around these bleak windswept shores watch out for strange things in the sea. These guys and their novel techniques could bring new meaning to the word pelagic...

Thinking of you again Steve - was worried you might be tempted to paddle out to the windfarms in that leaky canoe in the quest for another distant grainy image of scared scoter. Reckon you could re-write the seaduck section of the Birds of Anglesey, with a few of these beauties, all from the comfort of the brackish waters of the Cemlyn lagoon .

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, for a minute there I thought you had been sniffing glue until I realised there was actually a link in there to follow. Interesting link but I don't think we would be popular if we shot the Surf Scoter in order to get better views, a bit Victorian me thinks. I don't think you can shoot Scoter in the UK (is that right?) but it doesn't surprise me that they do in North America, they shoot anything that moves over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But check the decoys and the camouflaged boat - that is quality kit - then just swap gun for camera!

      Never tried shooting scoter - last thing I snipered was a Carrion Crow in my mispent youth (and only because they eat cute baby Lapwings).

      Although pissing twitchers off is a great hobby, I'm not condoning duck blasting at all - nor glue sniffing - and certainly not at the same time.

      Having said that I've often wondered how those buggers waterfowling on the Foryd manage to stay in their holess out on the estuary mud for hours at a time waiting for the Wigeon to appear. Maybe it's all about the adhesives...

      Delete